Dresser Palmer House sits on two city lots, which were purchased by Herbert A. Palmer, brother of Samuel Butler Palmer, on September 30, 1868 for $3,500. Samuel Palmer came to Savannah from Darrien, Georgia, with his brother and father to expand their hardware store business. Eventually the store became the largest retail and wholesale hardware store in Savannah, taking up one city block.
It wasn’t until 1876 that the paired homes, then simply numbered as 77 Gaston Street, were built by Aaron Wilber and R. Boyd. At that time, Samuel Palmer and Henry Dresser purchased their respective homes for $5500 each. A wall on the front porch and through the back courtyard divided the two townhouses for privacy. The walls have since been removed, resulting in the longest front porch in Savannah’s historical district. Porches then were called galleries, which is why the inn was previously called the “Gaston Gallery.”